BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Career Goals

  My ultimate career goal is to become a trustworthy, honest, and efficient physician. After completing my medical residency and fellowship in a surgical subspecialty, I would like to work in a facility with a good reputation that provides care to underserved populations- mainly racial and ethnic minorities.  I have seen data from numerous studies in my coursework illustrating that members of such groups experience higher rates of illness and death from health conditions, which saddens me. Being a member of a racial minority myself, I believe that I possess intangible factors(same cultural background, similar upbringing) that would benefit me in communicating with and diagnosing my patients. I have a strong desire to improve the health and healthcare outcomes for each and every patient with whom I come into contact, however, I feel that I have a "calling" to work with people of color.
  After gaining sufficient experience in a healthcare facility, I hope to open my own medical practice, possibly an outpatient surgical center. Later in my career, I hope to have the opportunity to teach part-time at a medical institution while overseeing my medical practice. At this time I would most likely minimize the number of patients I perform surgery on to only more severe cases.