BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Skill Areas

           Varying experiences resulting from working in foodservice and conducting biomedical research have provided me with many skills that will assist me in my career. While working at Dairy Queen, I managed shifts of  16-23 year-olds to run the store efficiently, assessed food items for satisfactory presentation, and resolved customer complaints and made recommendations to improve satisfaction.  A required skill at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center is the ability to multi-task. It is mandatory that I prepare patient meals, modify diets(if needed), deliver food trays to patients, and perform any other diet office tasks necessary for the satisfaction of the 32 patients on the Women's Services floor. In addition to performing these tasks, I was asked to train a new employee on more than one occasion.
           Conducting research has taught me skills that have added to my overall proficiency. One such skill is adequate planning. Before an experiment takes place, it is necessary that the researcher plan the order in which the steps will be undertaken to ensure appropriate outcomes and cost effectiveness. Patience, which is not considered a skill necessarily, is something else I have learned through working in the laboratory. At times, experiments take much longer than projected and in most cases do not yield the desired result. This can lead to much frustration. However, having patience is the key to obtaining useful results. I feel the skills I have obtained have transformed me into a better student, worker, and medical school applicant.