BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Cover Letter

To Whom It May Concern:

  Since high school, I have been intrigued with how the human body works. As an undergraduate nutrition student, I study how food affects the body's metabolism and how it relates to chronic diseases. My coursework consists of classes such as organic chemistry which serve as an academic foundation for later classes that will be undertaken. It also consists of classes such as clinical nutrition which require the application of previously acquired knowledge to cases regarding individuals in various disease states. It is because of classes like the latter mentioned that I am drawn toward careers that involve resolving complex issues related to the health of individuals.
  Early in my undergraduate career, I began volunteering at an inner-city elementary school. My role has been to assist the school nurse with providing care to the school children. Although my tasks are minor(i.e. stopping nosebleeds and cleaning minor cuts), it has been a wonderful opportunity nonetheless. Some of the children come to school with pre-existing health issues that require the nurses attention daily. In such cases, I observe how the nurse handles each situation with the utmost sincerity and grace.  Being exposed to the children in the clinic has led me to want to apply my knowledge to improve the lives of others. Working at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center has allowed me to supplement my previous clinical experience. As a nutrition associate, I ensure that patients on the Women's Services floor obtain proper nutrition based on the diet order provided by their physician. While delivering food trays, I see women who suffer from a range of health conditions and always wish I could do more to help. 
  With successful completion of an undergraduate curriculum and many hours of clinical experience, I feel that I would be an excellent candidate for medical school. In addition to excelling in academic areas, I feel that an individual should have an unrelenting drive to solve the problem when it comes to treating an individual's health issues. I know I posses this trait and feel that it will allow me to be successful as a medical student and later as a physician.


Sincerely,
Evans D. Pope, III